From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] gcc-4.1.1 update - emerge -eav world necessary?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 20:52:14
1 Hi,
2 Looking at the gcc update instructions I wondered if the last
3 emerge -eav world step is actually necessary for correct system
4 operation?
5
6 # emerge -uav gcc
7 # gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1
8 # source /etc/profile
9 # fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.6
10 # emerge --oneshot -av libtool
11 # emerge -eav system
12 # emerge -eav world
13
14 I'm satisfied if the system gets rebuilt over the next few weeks with
15 normal updates. However that would leave some apps and other things
16 built on the old compiler. This method would have everything built
17 with the new one, but is it necessary for correct/stable operation?
18
19 Also, for completeness in these instructions, if I'm rebuilding all
20 applications with the new compiler then why am I also not rebuilding
21 the kernel with the new compiler?
22
23 Currently I'm about 1/4 done with the emerge -eav system step...
24
25 Thanks,
26 Mark
27 --