From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:53:49
On Sunday 26 March 2006 17:33, JimD wrote:
> Has anyone noticed any real benefit from running their gentoo in 64-bit > vs doing everything 64-bit? > > I am trying to decide if I should put the time into setting up a 32-bit > environment or and stay with 64-bit or if I should just rebuild my > system at 32-bit. > > I am running with 2GB which should be fine for 32-bit. I don't have > any specific needs for 64-bit. > > Would I notice any big slow down from doing everything 32-bit on > amd64? I am wondering if I should just go rebuild 32-bit and retry > 64-bit in 6-12 months. >
in 6-12 month the situation will not be different than now. So you can go 64 bit now. For flash and wmv files install firefox-bin and mplayer-bin and you are covered. Waiting is just a waste of time - install now and reinstall in 6 month.. why? That is one superflous installation you do not need to do. -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list