From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] World packages
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 02:45:58
1 On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Paul Hartman
6 >>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>> Thanks guys. I understand how portage works and what to do to clean
9 >>>>> things up. That part isn't an issue this time around.
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> I'm more trying to understand whether this is just left over from old
12 >>>>> installs and hasn't gotten cleaned up along the way. I had about 6
13 >>>>> emul-linux packages. The all were dependencies of the two that are
14 >>>>> left so I simply removed them from the world file knowing they'd stay
15 >>>>> in and didn't need to be listed. Clearly I can remove these last two
16 >>>>> from world and they'll all go away but before I did that I just wanted
17 >>>>> to make sure there wasn't anything magic about them. For instance,
18 >>>>> maybe the emul-java file is some subset of running java in
19 >>>>> firefox-bin? If it was would it show up as a dependency? I don't know.
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>> None of this is a big deal. I was just poking around and decided to do
22 >>>>> an early spring cleaning.
23 >>>>>
24 >>>>> Cheers,
25 >>>>> Mark
26 >>>>
27 >>>> My understanding is that nothing goes into world unless you explicitly
28 >>>> put it there (either by directly editing the file or by emerging that
29 >>>> package directly). So you shouldn't need to worry about dependencies
30 >>>> or anything. If that package is needed by something else you've got
31 >>>> installed, it'll stay regardless of whether it is in world or not.
32 >>>>
33 >>>> Paul
34 >>>
35 >>> Right, absolutely right. But one weakness in this regard would be with
36 >>> revdep-rebuild. Maybe it finds a bunch of things that got broken and
37 >>> gives you a list you can run to clean things up. If for some reason
38 >>> they are not run --one-shot (like maybe I make a mistake, copy a few
39 >>> but not all of the list and forget the -1 that it puts in) then I end
40 >>> up with something in my world file that didn't fundamentally need to
41 >>> be there.
42 >>>
43 >>> It's not that the tools are wrong. They are probably fine. But after a
44 >>> few years of updating packages stuff gets overlooked or gets in when
45 >>> you aren't wide awake...
46 >>>
47 >>> I feel like in the old days we had to have some emul-linux packages in
48 >>> so as to get win32codecs and the like to work. Is that not still true?
49 >>> I'll go read whatever the current install docs suggest and see what I
50 >>> might learn. I built this machine 4-5 years ago so it's been awhile.
51 >>>
52 >>> Cheers,
53 >>> Mark
54 >>>
55 >>> - Mark
56 >>
57 >> Well, I think it sounds like you and I have probably done the same
58 >> things (emerging some random libs and packages without oneshot). I had
59 >> about 3 years of uncleaned world before the first time I did it and
60 >> there was an awful lot of unnecessary junk in there. If you run into
61 >> any packages that require you to manually emerge something else like
62 >> that you should report it as a bug. If it has a dependency that isn't
63 >> worked out automatically by portage it is broken (in my opinion).
64 >>
65 >> There are certainly programs that are optional dependencies that
66 >> portage doesn't take care of, like various helper programs for k3b
67 >> (and kde4 in general). Not needed to build but if available at run
68 >> time they provide additional functionality. Those are the kinds of
69 >> things that I can never remember why it's in my world file and it may
70 >> not be immediately obvious that something is missing if I unmerge
71 >> them.
72 >>
73 >> Generally the rule I use for my own world file is "Is this a program I
74 >> actually use?" and if not, cut it out and see what happens. :)
75 >>
76 >> I got rid of win32codecs after mplayer-bin got nuked out of portage.
77 >> The 64-bit mplayer seems to handle almost everything with the
78 >> exception of iv50 codec... i'm not aware of any 64-bit way to play
79 >> those. I think the amd64codecs package only has realplayer-related
80 >> codecs. Luckily iv50 videos are increasingly rare these days, so it's
81 >> really not much of a problem.
82 >>
83 >> Good luck! :)
84 >> Paul
88 > Yeah, I suspect it's a pretty common thing to do.
89 >
90 > I'm curious. I have mplayer installed but amd64codecs is not. What use
91 > flag turns that on?
92 >
93 > Not sure it matters much as I seldom use mplayer but it seems I
94 > currently have NO codec packages installed and wonder how they might
95 > help me. Possibly Yahoo Music stuff might work a bit better? Really
96 > I'm more focused on this machine being able to play all types of web
97 > media if possible.
98 >
99 > Thanks,
100 > Mark
103 > lightning ~ # emerge -pv mplayer
104 >
105 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
106 >
107 > Calculating dependencies... done!
108 > [ebuild R ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p28058-r1 USE="3dnow
109 > 3dnowext X a52 aac alsa ass dvd encode gif gtk iconv ipv6 jack jpeg
110 > ladspa mad mmx mmxext mp3 opengl png quicktime sdl sse sse2 theora
111 > truetype unicode v4l v4l2 vorbis xscreensaver xv xvid -aalib
112 > (-altivec) -amrnb -amrwb -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -cddb -cdio
113 > -cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cflags -custom-cpuopts -debug -dga
114 > -dirac -directfb -doc -dts -dv -dvb (-dvdnav) -dxr3 -enca -esd -fbcon
115 > -ftp -ggi -joystick -libcaca -lirc -live -lzo -md5sum -mng -mp2
116 > -musepack -nas -nemesi -openal -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr -radio -rar
117 > (-real) -rtc -samba -schroedinger -speex -ssse3 (-svga) -teletext -tga
118 > (-vidix) (-win32codecs) -x264 -xanim -xinerama -xvmc -zoran"
119 > VIDEO_CARDS="vesa -mga -s3virge -tdfx" 0 kB
120 >
121 > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
122 > lightning ~ #
126 I don't think anything pulls amd64codecs as a dep. I have it in my
127 world file, actually.
128
129 Since most web video is Flash nowadays it is pretty rare to run into
130 anything else. When I do, it's usually DRM'ed windows-only stuff (like
131 Move) that will never work in Linux anyway... well, running the
132 Windows version of Firefox in Wine actually is enough to get Move to
133 work, but it's very touchy and slow...
134
135 For my web media I use gecko-mediaplayer. I think it uses whatever
136 gmplayer's got.
139 It seems that most stuff outside of mplayer uses xine-lib, so check
140 the use flags to enable any additional codecs there.