From: Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] ~* or -* Keyworded packages
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:56:18
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've been trying to emerge gcc 4.0.2-r2, messing with
4 /etc/portage/package.unmask & /etc/portage/package.keywords
5 without success..
6
7 the portage man page says that if a package has -* is know to be broken on
8 all arches otherwise mentioned.
9 So is 4.0.1, 4.0.0, 4.1-snapshot..
10
11 I would expect it to be at least marked unstable "~amd64 .."
12
13 gentoo seems to have major problems in keeping up with the public releases..
14 its starting to look like debian stable....
15 also.. I don't see the point in having 3 types of tags: stable, unstable,
16 broken.. maybe the same point of (stable, testing, unstable.. ala debian)
17
18 Nevermind, basically, I'm using gentoo since 1.0rc6 and starting to be
19 disapointed by the slowness of having fresh software available..
20
21 gnome 2.12 came out 7 of september, maybe when gnome 2.14 is out I can find
22 it keyworded "amd64"..
23
24 In conclusion, package mantainance needs a new organizational way to scale..
25 Or should I simply move to ~amd64, just like any debian user sets its system
26 to testing without thinking twice, just after the install.
27
28 Best regards,
31 Miguel Sousa Filipe