From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: problems with emerging programs
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:53:21
1 On 9/25/06, Patric Douhane <patric@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Ok that could be it, though I've never noticed that there could be something
3 > wrong with the memory before, but I ran Windows XP and perhaps you don't
4 > notice such problems then? Can I test my memory with Memtest86??
5
6 Not really. memtest86 can really only tell you if you have bad cells,
7 which is actually extremely rare. This is because it works in a very
8 linear fashion, and only between the CPU and memory. Compiling
9 involves random access to different memory cells, rows, and even
10 pages, as well as DMA transfers to/from the disk[s].
11
12 You can find a better script for testing memory here:
13
14 http://people.redhat.com/dledford/memtest.html
15
16 You might have to make some edits to get it to run on a Gentoo box.
17
18 -Richard
19 --
20 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list