From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with latest timezone update?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:37:24
1 On Jan 16, 2008 4:56 PM, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > ----- Original Message -----
4 > From: "Steev Klimaszewski" <steev@g.o>
5 > To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
6 > Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:01 PM
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with latest timezone update?
10 > <snip>
11 >
12 > > Except that neither etc-update nor dispatch-conf touch
13 > > the /etc/localtime file...
16 > True, but...
17 > The files that are (maybe) affected directly by etc-update and/or
18 > dispatch-conf are /etc/conf.d/clock and /etc/init.d/clock. ('maybe' is used
19 > because: an emerge update must have affected one or both files; etc-update
20 > and/or dispatch-conf must have been invoked by the user; the user must have
21 > chosen action that resulted in a change to one or both files.
22 > /etc/conf.d/clock is the configuration file for /etc/init.d/clock.
23 > When /etc/init.d/clock runs (normally at boot), /etc/conf.d/clock is read.
24 > If CLOCK="UTC" is not set in /etc/conf.d/clock,
25
26 UTC was set...
27
28 > the option --localtime is
29 > used and TBLURB="Local Time" is set.
30 > The /etc/localtime file is a copy of one of the binary files in
31 > /usr/share/zoneinfo made by the system installer
32
33 installer == Mark, me the guy who built the system, correct?
34
35 > initially; it is subject to
36 > update by repeating the manual copy process anytime after system install.
37
38 Which is what I did today to fix this problem.
39
40 > Thus etc-update and/or dispatch-conf can't change localtime; but can change
41 > whether localtime runs or not.
42
43 Humm...seems like what you say is true but doesn't explain how emerge
44 -DuN system changed the file. It was clearly changed since I could
45 look inside with vi and compare to the Los_Angeles file and see that
46 they were clearly different...
47
48 Thanks,
49 Mark