From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] /dev/hda1 won't mount from grub
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 01:19:13
1 On Thursday 09 March 2006 09:11, "Gavin" <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-amd64] /dev/hda1 won't mount from grub':
3 > Hi,
4 > I reinstalled and the boot partition wont mount. It is reiser,
5
6 Reiser, eh? Some versions of grub have a problem with reiser's tail
7 packing. Make sure you mount the filesystem notail. If you aren't
8 already doing this, 'touch' all the files on boot once it is mounted
9 notail; you could also do this just to be safe. If you touch all the
10 files, particularly the stage files, you should rerun 'grub-install' or go
11 through your standard process for installing grub on the MBR.
12
13 > boot
14 > flag set on hda1.
15
16 Grub ignores that anyway.
17
18 > However, it boots from grub command line.
19
20 Well, make sure your grub.conf / menu.lst file matches the grub command
21 line you are giving. Also, make sure there aren't any stray characters
22 (e.g. Ctrl-A or Ctrl-@) in the grub.conf / menu.lst
25 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
26 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
27 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
28 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
29 --
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list