From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: reiser4 fs
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:39:58
1 Andrea Chiavelli posted <43B00205.9000903@×××××××.it>, excerpted below,
2 on Mon, 26 Dec 2005 15:45:25 +0100:
3
4 > I'm going to install gentoo 2005.1-r1 for amd64 on a turion-powered
5 > notebook and an awful dilemma caught me: should i use reiser4 for root
6 > partition or not? I've read tons of docs available on the topic but i
7 > found it a bit contradictory. Do you know anything about the actual
8 > state of support of the reiser4 fs? Does the default gentoo-kernel
9 > support it ? have you experienced reiser4 on a amd64? Is it really so
10 > fast or current software make it buggy and useless?
11
12 I'm running reiserfs (reiser3) on everything, here, and have been somewhat
13 impatiently waiting for reiser4. It *IS* possible to run it, but neither
14 Gentoo in general nor Gentoo amd64 "support" it. That is, you can do it,
15 but don't expect a lot of help or documentation, and expect a few things
16 not to work without some additional effort on your part.
17
18 Among other things, reiser4 will require grub patches not included in the
19 Gentoo grub or grub-static ebuild, if you want to run reiser4 on /boot.
20
21 Additionally, it's not in mainline kernel yet, and it'll likely be some
22 time before it gets there. This is due in large part to Hans Reiser's
23 lack of people skills.
24
25 Unfortunately, while he's incredibly bright, as with many bright people,
26 he's used to always being right, because few others have the intelligence
27 to follow what he's talking about. Thus, when he gets in with a group of
28 other very bright people that know the subject matter, such as the kernel
29 hackers on LKML, and treats them like he's used to treating everybody,
30 like only he has the intelligence to understand the territory, sparks fly.
31 The result is that he has created a number of enemies on the LKML, folks
32 that are normally quite helpful, but which he has repeatedly insulted when
33 they try to explain what's needed, so they don't bother any longer -- they
34 just continue to vote it down each time it comes up for inclusion, because
35 it hasn't met the standards yet, and Hans seems more interested in
36 insulting them when they try to explain things than in fixing the problem,
37 so it continues... Like I said, he has a serious lack of people skills.
38 Read some of the threads and see if YOU'D still be interested in working
39 with him, after the insults he spits. I know *I* wouldn't be.
40
41 Additionally, there's the small matter of his behavior on reiserfs
42 (reiser3), after it was added to the kernel. As the kernel progressed,
43 things such as extended attributes were added to most kernel file systems.
44 Hans Reiser wasn't interested in doing the same for reiserfs. In fact, he
45 OPPOSED the work when someone ELSE did it. His view was that reiserfs is
46 in stable mode now, and as such, shouldn't get new features, only bug
47 fixes. New features belong in the next version -- Reiser4. That works
48 great when your product is a standalone product, but when it's part of the
49 Linux kernel, it's no longer a standalone product. When that feature was
50 added to the kernel, it was added to the kernel's file systems (where it
51 made sense, obviously it doesn't with things like FAT, which are there
52 primarily for MS compatibility). Reiser4 was nowhere /near/ ready, so
53 reiser3, as part of the kernel, needed the update, but he refused to
54 support the fs he'd contributed, so the work fell to others, and he
55 opposed them every step of the way.
56
57 The result of /that/ fiasco is that the kernel hackers are rather more
58 demanding about the code meeting normal kernel code standards for
59 readability and maintainability, because they expect they'll be the ones
60 left doing the updates, when Hans Reiser is off doing the next big thing,
61 and actively opposing updates that keep his contribution in step with the
62 rest of the kernel.
63
64 These two factors combined mean that every time reiser4 comes up for
65 inclusion in the mainline kernel, there remain problems with it, problems
66 Hans doesn't seem all that interested in fixing, as he's too busy
67 insulting everyone trying to be helpful and point out what needs changed
68 in ordered to fit the way the /rest/ of the kernel works. Fortunately,
69 a couple of his employees aren't quite so hard headed, and while their
70 boss is busy creating fireworks and more political resistance, these guys
71 quietly make a list of the changes needed, do something about them, and
72 eventually the package gets resubmitted for the next round, some progress
73 having been made no thanks to Hans himself. Only this round, the kernel
74 hackers are more antagonized than they were /last/ round, and the thing
75 doesn't get much further, because after several rounds, Hans is correctly
76 calling quite a bit of what they list (those still willing to work with
77 him at all and not just turn it down without giving reason and therefore
78 becoming a target for more of his insults) nit-picking. Well, that it may
79 be, as compared to other submitters, but other submitters don't tend to be
80 as antagonizing, and /do/ tend to be a bit more cooperative, so, what
81 might be glossed over for them, ends up getting examined with a fine tooth
82 comb, when it comes to anything Hans Reiser submits.
83
84 So much for the political commentary... Anyway, to my knowledge, the only
85 Gentoo packaged kernel that includes reiser4 is Andrew Morton's mm series,
86 which has become what amounts to the development series, so is generally
87 considered too unstable for most to run -- and certainly not normally
88 recommended by Gentoo's devs, altho it's there, for those that /choose/ to
89 run it anyway.
90
91 You can of course do your own kernel and grub patching, if desired. A
92 number of folks do so, or simply run the mm kernel and don't run reiser4
93 on /boot, so don't need those patches.
94
95 The stability of both reiserfs and reiser4 continues to be called into
96 question by many. As I said, I run reiserfs on everything, here, so I
97 obviously think it's upto the task. My opinion is that while disaster
98 recovery in the case of reiserfs can be more difficult and less reliable
99 than with, say, ext3, the filesystem is in general stable enough that
100 disaster recovery is rarely needed. Keep good backups, as you should be
101 doing anyway, because disasters /do/ happen, and reiserfs works great!
102
103 I'm not yet running reiser4, tho I've considered it. The main reason I'm
104 not doing so here is only that I don't wish to complicate things, when I'm
105 running reiserfs on everything, and running a straight mainline kernel
106 (from kernel.org, not thru the portage tree, and often running the -rcs),
107 now. If I ran reiser4, I'd definitely have to either do my own kernel
108 patching, sometimes waiting to upgrade because the reiser4 patch won't
109 apply to new versions, or switch off of mainline kernel. Additionally,
110 I'd either have to decide reiser4 was stable enough to run on
111 /everything/, or split my system between reiserfs and reiser4. Further,
112 if I ran reiser4 on everything, I'd have to figure out what I was going to
113 do with grub, in terms of patching it for reiser4.
114
115 Thus, while I'd like to try reiser4, as long as it isn't in the mainline
116 kernel, I'm really not likely to do so. Even then, I'd probably only run
117 it on part of my system to begin with, likely /tmp and other non-critical
118 stuff like the portage tree, which can always be redownloaded if it gets
119 screwed up. For root, and my backup root-snapshot as well, along with
120 /home and its snapshot, my media partitions and their backup, and the
121 like, I'd stay with reiserfs, at least until I was decently comfortable
122 with reiser4.
123
124 So, what that all means is... you *CAN* run reiser4 if you decide you
125 want to, but it's not going to be recommended any time soon either here or
126 by Gentoo, and be prepared for some significant additional hassle if you
127 /do/ decide to run it.
128
129 That said, looking toward the future, when asked about reiser4 support,
130 the response I've seen from the devs, is that they do plan on supporting
131 it, when/if it gets added to the mainline kernel. (It would be when, if
132 Hans Reiser wasn't as poor a people person as he seems to be, and most do
133 seem to think it'll be added /eventually/, but given the situation, it's
134 not the almost sure thing it likely would be otherwise, thus the "if".)
135
136 Don't think I'm anti-Hans Reiser, or his filesystems, by any means!
137 As I said, I run reiserfs everywhere, and I certainly wouldn't be
138 doing so if I distrusted him or his solutions. It's just an unfortunate
139 fact that he tends to make thing harder for himself than they'd otherwise
140 be. Such facts... well, it's best to recognize them for what they are,
141 instead of trying to deny that they exist.
142
143 JMO, FWIW...
148 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
149 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
153 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list