From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:46:01
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> skribis:
2 > > When I really want a program to start quickly, though, I use the
3 > > sticky bit, so the program stays in memory. I think this is the
4 > > default for GNU Emacs.
5 >
6 > Eh? That's a rather dated use of that bit, AFAIK.
7
8 Thus it gets very little use. :)
9
10 In my experience programs that start up slowly often have bugs causing
11 it. For example, Opera slows down dramatically if you have a lot of
12 fonts, which I do; because of this, I run Opera under a separate
13 fontconfig. Programs that use Pango, such as Inkscape, can be slow to
14 start up if you have a lot of fonts, though they won’t slow down, once
15 started, as dramatically as does Opera. GIMP has its own code for
16 listing your fonts and starts up quickly.
20 Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org http://chemoelectric.org
21 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com (PDF)
22 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
23 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)