From: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] initrd
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:11:17
1 > I've been using gentoo for 3 yrs now and using a grub.conf exactly as follows
2 > for all that time. It has <never> failed to work. I did not create
3 > the /boot dir with mkdir, that was done when I cp'd my bzImage
4 > from /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage to /boot, and I did it that way
5 > because that's how the docs said to do it.
6 >
7 > tbill@Shooter ~ $ cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
8 > default 0
9 > timeout 10
10 > splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
11 >
12 > title=Gentoo (linux kernel 2.6.11-gentoo-r10)
13 > root (hd0,0)
14 > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda1
15 >
16 > If you, when you installed gentoo in the first place, placed /boot in its own
17 > partition, then anything you copy to that partition is going to start with
18 > "/boot...". How else are you going to tell the kernel to copy something to
19 > the boot partition when /boot is all you've mounted there? If you, as root,
20 > tell the system to mount the partition where you've installed grub.conf, how
21 > else do you specify it except as "mount /boot". I don't mean to belabor the
22 > point, but....
23 >
24 > So tell grub to look on "(hd0,0)/boot/bzImage" for the kernel to boot,
25 > only,since you don't have a bzImage but a genkernel, change it accordingly:
26 > (hd0,0)/boot/genkernel-*. I assure you that this <does not> "stop your
27 > system from booting fully."
28 >
29 > Also, since you're getting error code 15, what you have in /etc/fstab is
30 > completely immaterial. Grub can't even find your kernel, and grub's interest
31 > stops at finding the kernel, so take care of grub's errors first, then worry
32 > about whether your fstab is properly set up.
35 Actually, that reminds me that a year ago on amd64 architecture the compiled
36 grub did not work for me (it did compile but fail to boot) and I had
37 to use grub-static-0.93, which worked fine. I looked now and see that
38 I still use this version of grub on all my amd64 machines.
43 Dmitri Pogosyan Department of Physics
44 Associate Professor University of Alberta
45 tel 1-780-492-2150 412 Avadh Bhatia Physics Labs
46 fax 1-780-492-0714 Edmonton, AB, T6G 2J1, CANADA
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list