From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:14:11
1 On Wednesday 27 September 2006 07:50, Daniel Iliev wrote:
4 > 1) I use CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -mfpmath=sse -msse -msse2 -msse3
5 > -m3dnow -mmmx -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fpic". P
6
7 -mfpmath=sse not needed. amd64 uses sse for math by default. remove that flag
8 -msse not needed, see above
9 -msse2 not needed, see above
10 -msse3 can be set, but only if your CPU supports it. Not all CPUs do.
11 Check /proc/cpuinfo for 'pni'
12 -m3dnow just no. sse supersedes it. Also it is a '32bit flag'
13 -mmmx see above
14 -O3 don't do it. O2 is much, much safer and not really slower. It will prevent
15 a lot of breakage.
16 -fomit-frame-pointer not needed
17 -pipe a good flag
18 -fpic NO! Really, really really no! Don't do it! It is just wrong. Stop it
19 now! This flag is not needed! Even for prelink on 32bit it was never needed
20 (because everything that could compiled with that flag set it anyway).
21 Please, read the documentation and remove that flag ASAP.
22
23 so, march=k8 -O2 -pipe
24 would be the result, if you remove all superflous and dangerous flags.
28 > 2) I see too many flags that are disabled by the profile - the kind with
29 > the parenthesis around them, like "(-3dnow)". Why? As I mentioned above
30 > I enable some of these through my CFLAGS - e.g. (-mmx), (-mmxext),
31 > (-sse) and (-sse2) and everything works perfect.
32
33 because 3dnow, mmx&co are useflags for 32bit code that was optimized for that
34 extensions. If you use that code in 64bit apps, certain breakage is the
35 result. And if something does not break, it will be A LOT slower.
36
37 Don't use that flags. They are bad for amd64. Trust the devs, they know better
38 than you or me.
39 --
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list