From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:15:42
1 Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> skribis:
2 > Unfortunately I am not a C programmer and I can't be sure about how
3 > exactly PIC and prelink work.
4 > As far as I understood the mechanism (please, correct me if I'm wrong)
5 > prelink scans the executables to find which libs they load. Then it
6 > makes cache and when a program is started it uses already pre-loaded
7 > libs. So the program is ready for action faster.
8
9 What you are interested in, probably, is PIE: position-independent
10 executables. These look like shared libraries but are runnable
11 programs. These are easy to get using the version 3.4.x compiler and
12 ‘hardenednossp’ specs. I suspect you will have more fun and fewer
13 headaches by using the 4.1.x compiler and no prelink. There are
14 already enough extra headaches in amd64 Gentoo, compared to x86
15 Gentoo! :)
18 Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org http://chemoelectric.org
19 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com (PDF)
20 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
21 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)