From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: udevd event find_free_number?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:27:56
Richard Fish posted
<7573e9640604032014p7dbd2358raa41f90c21097021@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:14:43 -0700:

> On 4/3/06, Jack Cuyler <jjvcuyler@×××××××××××××××.com> wrote: >> When booting, I get an error message that "find_free_number" doesn't >> work, will be removed, and shouldn't be used. I've googled, but the >> best I can find is something on a debian list to the effect of, "Yes, >> that's right. Don't use it." >> >> My question is, how do I disable it? > > Check /etc/udev/rules.d/*. If you have any rules with "%e" in them, you > will get this warning. Although, I see the cdrom rules in 50-udev.rules > is still using %e, so I'm personally waiting to see what replaces this > before I fix my rules...
Interesting this should come up, as I was getting tired enough of the message myself to just be getting ready to go looking. Having not done so yet, the above confirms what I suspected, and I yet believe the following is safe to say... Greg KH, one of the guys on the Gentoo kernel team and the one that makes the most changes to our udev, according to the changelog, is one of two or three that were responsible for udev in the first place. He's no longer responsible for it upstream, as he has enough other stuff on his plate that likely didn't fit so well, but as the biggest proponent of udev (he's had several white papers and speeches on it, look it up) and one of the original three, it's safe to say he knows it inside and out and pretty well keeps up with upstream. Additionally, GKH is kernel lieutenant for device drivers -- /that's/ the big thing on his plate and a driving force behind the udev thing in the first place, for him. It's safe to say as a result of that he continues to cooperate very closely with the udev upstream, and they with him -- closely as in on a close to daily basis, or things will break as the kernel and udev will get out of sync. Finally, in addition to the volunteer hats he wears with Gentoo and as the mainline kernel drivers lieutenant, his paying job is I believe doing the /same/ things for Novell/SuSE. Suffice it to say that it's rather unlikely we'll be left high and dry with a udev implementation that doesn't work, unless you've modified your rules significantly beyond the default. That's the reason those warnings haven't been an urgent investigative matter, here. If something does get broken, it's going to be only for a very short period and as the result of normal development snafus. You'll only likely see it if you happen to sync in the period of hours that it's broken before it's caught, and happen to reboot then too. Even then, chances are it'll be something non-critical that breaks, something like CD/DVDs (in this case), that aren't necessary for maintenance mode. (Of course, if you have to boot your liveCD or whatever backup, you'll be using the old and well tested setup on the liveCD itself, not bleeding edge one that happened to break for a few hours, and you had the bad enough luck to catch the sync at exactly the wrong time.) The warnings are just that -- warnings of deprecation. No new use of the warned feature should be made, as the feature is deprecated. However, the process of deprecation is there precisely to allow some changeover time, so the system is working as it's supposed to. As long as you've not made your own customizations using that feature and as long as you properly etc-update after your udev upgrades, before rebooting, and as long as you always keep at least one known working kernel when you upgrade that (testing the new one before entirely removing the old one), you should be fine, barring the occasional routine breakage that should be expected running ~arch, if that's indeed what you /are/ running. (I don't believe stable would have the warning yet, but I may be wrong.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list