From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Why Is Gentoo So Far Behind?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:12:24
1 On 6/16/09, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 >> On 6/16/09, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 >> >> Even allowing the "~amd64" unstable series, this remains true.
4 >> >> Why is this so?
5 >> >
6 >> > Xorg? We have 2.6.2_pre . gcc? We have 4.4.0 . I dont know about perl :)
7 >>
8 >> Xorg-2.6.2_pre? In some overlay, not main portage tree? (Don't care,
9 >> but that's my guess.)
10 >> gcc-4.4.0? Masked by both package.mask ("for testing") and ~arch.
11 > Of course. If you are an "advanced" user you can unmask them and use them.
12 > The ebuild is there, exists but for SAFETY reasons is masked. This is
13 > NOT ubuntu.
14 > Our main goal is not bleeding edge packages but working/stable packages. We
15 > dont want 20 bugs/package on bugzilla.
16 > Why is this so hard to conceive?
17
18 Sorry if I pushed you into defensive mode, that was not my intention,
19 but the terseness of the message possibly turned bad the tone in my
20 words. Pointing out the "state" of those two packages was meant to be
21 a lead-in into just this observation:
22
23 >> New users probably try to use emerge like aptitude or yum, and not
24 >> specify any versions. Thus, they won't even see most of this bleeding
25 >> edge stuff already available (just hidden behind these simple safety
26 >> valves), and might make the conclusion that "Gentoo is lagging".
27
28 So I didn't mean to say that, e.g., Gentoo (you, the devs) is is doing
29 it wrong. What I'm trying to say is that "Gentoo is different and it
30 easily bites the rear end of the new users". For example, IIRC the
31 default emerge printouts don't give you any indication that there are
32 actual later versions available (even just in the portage tree, let
33 alone in overlays which might not even be added locally).
34
35 Thus, especially new users are bound to be vulnerable into going into
36 this OP's wondering-mode of "wtf, I thought Gentoo was supposed to be
37 bleeding edge, yet now I have the equivalent of Debian stable". :)
38
39 Maybe some kind of small indication or hint of "later versions'
40 ebuilds present but using this older one" could be added to emerge's
41 printouts? Or has that been tried and found out to be bad? "Patches
42 welcome?"
45 Arttu V.