From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE and kdeprefix
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:16:06
1 On Freitag 12 Juni 2009, Alex Alexander wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 23:07, Volker Armin
3 >
4 > Hemmann<volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > please explain me why this option is bad?
6 > >
7 > > I can give you examples why it is good:
8 > > -you can have multiple versions of kde installed (well, you could in the
9 > > past, until someone started to put crap into python's directories).
10 > > and
11 >
12 > Its not that simple
13 > KDE wasn't designed to work like this, kdeprefix is a Gentoo Thing
14 > that is not supported by upstream.
15
16 Do I need to remind you that kde's own documentation once said that you should
17 install into /opt? into its own directory?
18 Maybe that changed, but the 'not designed for' is not correct.
21 > Multiple issues can arise when using kdeprefix, things not working,
22 > misc kde4 apps linking to wrong kde4 versions, etc.
23
24 and without prefix, you can not have multiple versions.
25 hmmm...
29 > If you know what you're doing (and how to fix stuff when it breaks ;)
30 > kdeprefix can be useful. But its primarily meant for developers who
31 > want to test newer kde versions. Most users should stick to -kdeprefix
32 > which is widely tested and its upgrade path is cleaner and thoroughly
33 > checked before each release.
34
35 I give you an example:
36 KDe 3.4 is installed, you want to try 3.5, you install it and switch when you
37 are ready. After an hour you realize that 3.5.0 is very buggy, no problem, you
38 just log in back to 3.4.
39 ...
40 Now, tell me, is that usefull for users or not?
41 And until recently it was the default.
44 > imho its better to just keep binary packages of stuff you've installed.
45 > if your update fails and you need your system asap, you just emerge
46 > your binaries back in no time :) no cp'ing or other strange
47 > out-of-portage stuff
48
49 binary packages don't help you with your config changes or ither stuff you put
50 into the tree.