From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 06:19:20
1 Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> skribis:
2 > 1) I use CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -mfpmath=sse -msse -msse2 -msse3
3 > -m3dnow -mmmx -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fpic". Portage complains
4 > with *red letters* about the fpic flag. Every time I emerge something it
5 > says that "fpic breaks things", but I haven't met a single breakage so
6 > far. Is that a bug? Actually there was an ebuild which could not be
7 > compiled if mysql was compiled w/o "fpic". I'm not 100% sure but AFAIR
8 > it was dev-perl/DBD-mysql.
9
10 I guess the best question might be ‘Why do you want -fpic?’
11
12 > 2) I see too many flags that are disabled by the profile - the kind with
13 > the parenthesis around them, like "(-3dnow)". Why? As I mentioned above
14 > I enable some of these through my CFLAGS - e.g. (-mmx), (-mmxext),
15 > (-sse) and (-sse2) and everything works perfect.
16
17 Parentheses indicate that you can’t change those USE flags; they are
18 immutably set in the profile, for whatever reason.
21 Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org http://chemoelectric.org
22 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com (PDF)
23 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
24 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)