From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wifi adaptor recommendations
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 18:02:41
1 On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Ultimately I want to put together an amd64-based router, as I said, in
4 > ordered to be able to put gentoo on it, and build at least base packages
5 > for it and my main machine at the same time. The problem I'm hoping to
6 > solve is that openwrt is great, but it's different than my main machine
7 > and single purpose, so I really don't have time to learn how to master it
8 > properly. Similarly, when I had an x86 netbook, I had a 32-bit chroot
9 > image on the main machine to build its packages, but I found it was lucky
10 > to get upgrades once a year, which made them always a major pain. So I
11 > decided making everything amd64 based and building most packages only
12 > once, was definitely the way to go.
13 >
14 > But $50-70 for temporary solution of a few months, and as a fallback when
15 > I do get the amd64-based router, isn't bad and can be considered a minor
16 > expense associated with the temporary, especially given that I'll not be
17 > having to worry about rent or utilities. I /may/ not even worry about
18 > reflashing it to openwrt, but I definitely want to keep the option open,
19 > so want an openwrt compatible device.
20
21 I used to think about doing this myself, and there's some good reasons to
22 do it security wise, but in the end I decided it was just a bunch of work
23 with
24 more than incremental electricity costs. The cost of running a full blown
25 machine adds up over the course of a year or two. There's noise, heat and
26 the risk of downtime due to some hardware failure. There's backups to
27 consider
28 so that I don't have to reinstall and build from scratch after a big
29 failure.
30
31 Anyway, I think the cost difference is bigger than $50-$70 by the time
32 you're
33 a couple of years into it, but from a project POV I always thought it
34 sounded
35 like fun and I'd learn something to boot.
36
37 Now, from a selfish POV I'm lobbying that you do not watch TV and read books
38 for 3 months as we depend on you here Duncan!
39
40 Cheers,
41 Mark