From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] xorg Dual-Head Layout with nv-Driver?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:04:25
1 Marcel Treis wrote:
2 > Kyle Liddell wrote:
3 >> Do you have sideband
4 >> addressing or fastwrites enabled?
5 > Well, i'm a bit ashamed to say, but i dont know where to get that info :|
6
7 If you have the nvidia kernel module loaded, it should be available by
8 cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
9 (not exactly sure, i have the opensource driver activated as well, and
10 then this file is not there).
11 cat /etc/modules.d/nvidia
12 will show you the contents of the nvidia kernel module configuration
13 file. note that any changes made here need to be written to the
14 confiuration file really used (/etc/modules.conf) with modules-update.
15 The modules.d directory is used to make this configuration a bit more
16 modular (no pun intended ;)
17
18 FYI, i had exactly the same problems as you (X11 would go to 100% CPU
19 and thus lock up the machine when alt-tabbing in gnome no matter what
20 the load, i could only kill it via ssh) and also had to solve this
21 problem by switching to nv, thereby losing dual-head. So you're not
22 alone :) I also think there is a long thread in the gentoo forums
23 dedicated to this topic (titled "x11 crashes" or "x11 uses 100%CPU" or
24 something), but as far as I remember, there weren't any good solutions.
25 Hopefully newer combinations of kernel/nvidia-kernel will solve this
26 problem...
27
28 Marco
29 --