From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install to a RAID set?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 10:09:20
1 Ok, many thanks to all who replied. I think I'll go the hardware route.
2
3 I've found a card that seems ideal for my needs: one that will fit into the
4 32-bit PCI 2.2 slots on this motherboard but doesn't cost more than the pair
5 of disks it will drive. It's the Adaptec 1210SA controller.
6
7 I'll go searching the HCLs, but meanwhile does anyone here have a view on
8 this device?
11 Rgds
12 Peter.
16 --------- Original Message --------
17 From: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
18 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
19 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to install to a RAID set?
20 Date: 06/05/06 20:22
23 > &gt; So I plugged the drives in and started exploring (they're 2 x 200 GB
24 Maxtor
25 > &gt; SATA disks). After many attempts I now have a new WinXP installation
26 on the
27 > &gt; new RAID-0 set, and all looks fine there. But after innumerable
28 attempts and
29 > &gt; much hair tearing I still have no trace of Gentoo. I've eventually
30 > &gt; discovered that I need to pass &quot;dmraid=X&quot; to the installer
31 at CD-boot time,
32 > &gt; but the instructions are both wrong and unhelpful in telling me what
33 X is. I
34 > &gt; did manage to read &quot;man dmraid&quot; (though not print it -
35 anyone know how to
36 > &gt; print Linux man pages on a Windows box?) from which it seemed I
37 needed an
38 > &gt; -ay paramter, thus:
39 >
40 > After quite a few experience with most software RAID that require drivers
41 > I have come to the conclusion that they are not worth anything. You are
42 > much better off using Linux software raid which will work even if you
43 > change chipsets, as in upgrading your computer in a later point in time.
44 > Also there are quite a few software Raid out there that require you to
45 > rebuild the Raid if you ever update the Bios.
46 >
47 > I would only use only actual real Hardware RAID such as an IBM ServeRaid
48 > card.
49 >
50 > If you need raid in Windows XP I think that it also supports a virtual
51 > Raid system, I have never used it so ymmv.
52 > --
53 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
63 Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.2
66 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list