From: Mike Melanson <mike@××××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:02:45
Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> Hello fellow list members, > > I'm getting a new AMD64-based computer, and I'd like to run gentoo on > it. I have been doing a bit of reading about running linux on AMD64, and > it seems that in general, it's not a problem. The main issues seem to be > with firefox 32-bit plugins, and win32 codecs for use with mplayer. My > reading seems to suggest that if I stick to firefox-bin and mplayer32, > then I should be fine. However, I'd like to hear from people who're > already using gentoo on amd64, and what their experience is. Is it > simple to get these apps to work? Or was there a lot of frustration > involved. I've used linux and BSD systems for a long time, so I'm used > to hacking, and I'm not afraid to mess around with scripts and > compilers. But I've reached a point when I'd just like to be able to > install a system, and have it work. Fedora Core almost allows that, > except that I'm a bit fed up of the multiple repository problems, and no > proper way of picking and choosing what exactly I want. I could > recompile some of the packages from SRPMS, and specify my choices. But I > reckoned that if recompiling was the way to go, then I'd give gentoo a try. > > One of the choices I'm facing is whether to install gentoo 64-bit, or > 32-bit. Installing 32-bit on the AMD64 would make life easy, but kind of > defeats the purpose of having a 64-bit processor. Hence my request for > opinions. Should I go 64-bit, or stay in the 32-bit world for now?
For most of what I have to do, 64-bit Gentoo works famously. Yes, the multimedia codec thing is a problem which is very near and dear to my heart (see my email address). The community is working hard on reverse engineering major codecs in order to mitigate this problem. -- -Mike Melanson -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list