From: "Claes Gyllenswärd" <letharion@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] eth3 - how to set up?
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 13:04:58
2011/2/7 Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>:
> Hi, > I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with my > network connection. > I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the > system:- > > ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up > After this everything works as it should. > Where is this setting help? > I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference. > I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help. > Paul > -- > This message has been sent using kmail on gentoo. > >
While I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than me will pitch in sooner or later, I'll give my 2 cents. I only vaguely remember how this works, but IIRC there are HAL rules (perhaps in /etc/hal/fdi/policy ?) that remebers your old network cards from the previous motherboard. This gives your new card eth3, and you don't have an init-script for eth3. I assume you're not going to switch the MB back, so I suggest you dig around for the files, backup and remove them. This should re-number your eth3 as eth0, and allow the normal init-scripts to start your network. Again, this is _not_ my area of expertise, so if you're unsure, wait for someone else to reply.