From: Steve Herber <herber@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: modules
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:29:01
1 On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > DR GM SEDDON posted <436B56B2.10106@×××××××××××××.uk>, excerpted below,
4 > on Fri, 04 Nov 2005 12:40:18 +0000:
5 >
6 >> Hi,
7 >> I was wondering. What modules do I need installed at boot?
8 >
9 > Other than that, I learned what I needed pretty much by going thru
10 > the entire kernel config and turning on what I KNEW I needed, then
11 > using trial and error on everything else, trying without it to see if
12 > everything still worked and didn't complain, going back and turning it
13 > back on if I found I needed it....
14
15 This is why I miss RedHat. I don't want to spend my time customizing
16 a kernel then spending more time with trial and error getting just the
17 kernel I need. RedHat has a system in place that installs a minimal
18 kernal and then loads almost everything else as modules. Genkernel almost
19 does what I want but it is always a struggle. The base system always
20 loads all the different disk drivers and does not unload the unused ones.
21 Is anyone working on a more RedHat like kernel/modules/runtime loading
22 system? It would eliminate the problem the original poster had and save
23 lots of time for the rest of us.
24
25 Thanks,
26
27 Steve Herber herber@×××××.com work: 206-221-7262
28 Security Engineer, UW Medicine, IT Services home: 425-454-2399
29 --
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list