From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gcc 4.1 upgrade - bad desktop interactivity anyone?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:56:08
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200609231439.11739.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sat, 23 Sep
3 2006 14:39:11 +0000:
4
5 > Which model of Opteron are your CPUs? I have a feeling they differ from my
6 > 246s, and I've been wondering how I ought to tune your helpfully explained
7 > flags to suit my box.
8
9 I'm running 242s at present, so they should be fairly similar.
10
11 I plan on upgrading to dual-cores later this year or early next, when the
12 prices seem to be down to a reasonable level as the new socket format
13 takes over, and will run that for another couple years before I even think
14 of upgrading mobo/cpu/memory again, at which point I'll have been running
15 the same base mobo and platform for over five years(!!), and expect to
16 upgrade to a single socket 8-core model as mid-grade. (Of course by then
17 AMD's multi-socket co-processor model or a variation thereof may have
18 taken the market by storm, and I might as a result be buying a two or more
19 socket mobo with one for CPU and the other for GPU, or some such.)
20
21 However, the only difference (CFLAGS wise) that I'm aware of for the AMD
22 dual-cores is that they now incorporate SSE3, while my old 242s and I
23 presume your 246s don't. The other changes I'll be making at the upgrade
24 will be in terms of kernel config. Naturally, with dual Opterons, I'm
25 already running SMP, but I have it set for two max, and with the
26 dual-cores, that will of course change to four. Additionally, there's
27 only one level of CPU/core zoning ATM, while there will be two levels
28 then, as the pair of cores on the same CPU will cooperate even closer than
29 the two in separate sockets but connected by hypertransport bus do.
30
31 The big difference in CFLAGS at this point is between Intel and AMD
32 products, and since we are both running AMD, that's not an issue.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list