From: Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE and kdeprefix
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:11:42
1 Alex Alexander wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 23:07, Volker Armin
3 > Hemmann<volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> please explain me why this option is bad?
6 >>
7 >> I can give you examples why it is good:
8 >> -you can have multiple versions of kde installed (well, you could in the past,
9 >> until someone started to put crap into python's directories).
10 >> and
13 > Its not that simple
14 > KDE wasn't designed to work like this, kdeprefix is a Gentoo Thing
15 > that is not supported by upstream.
16 >
17 > Multiple issues can arise when using kdeprefix, things not working,
18 > misc kde4 apps linking to wrong kde4 versions, etc.
19 >
20 > If you know what you're doing (and how to fix stuff when it breaks ;)
21 > kdeprefix can be useful. But its primarily meant for developers who
22 > want to test newer kde versions. Most users should stick to -kdeprefix
23 > which is widely tested and its upgrade path is cleaner and thoroughly
24 > checked before each release.
25 >
26 Have the OpenOffice.org problems with -kdeprefix been fixed? When KDE4
27 entered the tree, you couldn't build OpenOffice unless you enabled
28 kdeprefix because it chose the KDE4 libs over the KDE3 libs.
29
30 Sebastian