From: Eric Bliss <eric@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [OT- html posts]
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:18:59
1 On Friday 09 December 2005 01:14 pm, Bob Young wrote:
2 > >For those of us seriously concerned about security,
3 > >that's a huge reason right there, altho admittedly, alone, the benefits
4 > >might outweigh it, if a suitably secure parsing method can be found (and
5 > >there is such a method, don't fetch any content not in the mail, don't
6 > >render any active content, only text, formatting, and images, being a very
7 > >good start).
10 I should point out that even only rendering text, formatting and images is
11 still not restrictive enough. The images themselves can often be part of the
12 problem. I work with people who get spammed on a regular basis with emails
13 that contain graphic visual content. They didn't ask for this kind of
14 e-mail, they just get it because their e-mail addresses have to be quite
15 public, and therefore easily harvestable by spam engines. Part of the
16 problem is that while you can parse text for offensive content and filter it,
17 the images that are often sent with HTML are something that can't be filtered
18 ahead of time. It could be a screenshot that you asked for, or it could be a
19 camera image that you really never wanted to see. Now suppose these e-mail
20 accounts were for kids, rather than old professionals and it just gets worse.
21 And once you have to blank out images as well, what are you really dealing
22 with in the HTML mail that can't be handled by raw text? Also compare that
23 with the extra room taken up by all of the HTML and there's no good reason to
24 use it, especially on mailing lists like this (Which is where the major
25 objection comes in).
26
27 Also remember that for lists, it's not just a matter of tossing in a few extra
28 lines of HTML to one person. An extra k or 2 of data to a single user is no
29 big deal. But multiply that by, say, 1000 or more people on a list, per
30 post, and it quickly starts adding up to become a serious bandwidth issue for
31 the list server.
32
33 In large part, it comes down to respecting the rules of the community that
34 you're in. FLOSS lists and users date back to the very earliest days of the
35 internet, and have very strong opinions about how things should be done. Not
36 using HTML on mail to lists, not top-posting your replies in lists, and
37 trimming parts of the message that don't relate to your reply are just part
38 of what is expected. Ignore the rules, and the people are going to ignore
39 you in return. Don't argue about why your way is better when it's in clear
40 opposition to the people who make up the community, simply accept that they
41 have reasons for doing things the way they do, and abide by those rules when
42 you're in their home.
43
44 > >Others are free to continue their in our opinion misguided
45 > >use, as long as they don't involve us, either in their mail, or in the
46 > >DoSs that result when one of their HTML mail spread malware things gets
47 > >going!
48
49 Well said. In other words - use HTML all you want anywhere else, just don't
50 use it in my backyard.
53 > Since many emails are already html, and there hasn't been any wide spread
54 > "malware thing" in quite some time, you still don't seem to have a real
55 > solid basis for your opinion, at least not one that's based on current
56 > facts, and objective analysis.
59 So, exactly what would you refer to the Sober Worm attack on Nov. 23 as??? 3
60 weeks ago is pretty damned recent. And as for "objective analysis"... How
61 many spam filter rules are there that boil down to "It's got HTML/it's got
62 loads of HTML in it - it's probably spam". I'd call that a fairly objective
63 viewpoint.
64
65 > >( Had plain text
66 > >remained the rule, all those infections wouldn't have happened, and I'd
67 > >likely still be able to run my own mail server and connect to others
68 > >directly, so YES, it has affected me!)
71 Seconded! (Because I AM tasked with trying to run the mail server in addtion
72 to every other technical aspect of our operation, and had to deal with that
73 attack 3 weeks ago)
74
75 > If we all communicated using Morse code we would be safe also, we don't
76 > because there are more convenient and effective methods. Do you allow html
77 > to be rendered when you browse the web? If so, why is email more dangerous
78 > when your email client can easily be configured to render html just as
79 > safely as your browser?
82 How's about because we can CHOOSE where we go when we browse the web, and we
83 can change the settings that we use if we go to sites we don't trust. But,
84 if you have to work at all with the public at large, you have to accept
85 e-mail from people who's intentions are a complete mystery to you, because
86 you can't know until you read it if it's a legitimate e-mail. Yes, you can
87 filter out some things that are very obviously spam, but you can't stop
88 everything.
89
90 Sorry for this rant, it's just that I happen to strongly agree with the
91 community here that HTML e-mail is a BAD THING - especially to FLOSS lists.
94 Eric Bliss
95 systems design and integration,
96 CreativeCow.Net
97 --