From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: cupsd wont start on boot.
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 00:33:27
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Mark Haney wrote:
5
6 > Neil Stone wrote:
8 >> Hash: SHA1
9 >>
10 >> Paul de Vrieze wrote:
11 >> > On Saturday 05 August 2006 07:50, Duncan wrote:
12 >> > > If it's the exact same line both places, one works, the other doesn't,
13 >> > > it's almost certainly due to the difference in environment. The
14 >> > > environment passed to the one started from initscript will be rather
15 >> > > more
16 >> > > limited than a fully interactive bash prompt environment.
17 >> > >
18 >>
19 =====
20 S N I P
21 =====
22
23 >> what happens if you invoke the init script directly, ie not running the
24 >> commands contained within the script...
25 >>
26 >> /etc/init.d/cupsd start
27 >>
28 > \
29 > This is what I get:
30 >
31 > * Caching service dependencies ...
32 > [ ok ]
33 > * WARNING: "cupsd" has already been started.
34 >
35 > But it's not started.
39 When I run into this, I cheat. If you look in /var/lib/init.d/started
40 you will notice a symbolic link cupsd, and the existence of that link is
41 what triggers the "already started" message. If it really isn't running,
42 if you remove this link (rm /var/lib/init.d/started/cupsd), then
43 "/etc/init.d/cupsd start" should start it normally.
44
45 There are doubtless more elegant ways to handle the problem, and there are
46 doubtless more prefered ways to handle it, but the little cheat I just
47 mentioned works for me(tm).
50 > --
51 > Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!
52 >
53 > Mark Haney
54 > Sr. Systems Administrator
55 > ERC Broadband
56 > (828) 350-2415
57 > --
58 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
61 Regards,
62 Ferris
63 - --
64 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
65 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)
73 --
74 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list