From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] new clean rebuild
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 18:04:34
1 2008/5/17 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > hi,
5 > >
6 > > i'm starting to feel a little frustated by the state of my current
7 > system:
8 > > it has quite some misbehavior with stuff like permissions, orphaned
9 > files,
10 > > packages built and still slotted (but are they really needed) and a great
11 > > deal of static links that now are giving me a little headache.
12 > > for this reason i've started to manually handle a little the cleaning of
13 > the
14 > > system, but after some days of work i've arrived at the decision that a
15 > new
16 > > rebuild from scratch might be an interesting idea.
17 > > i haven't started it because it would take some days (about 10 days) to
18 > > setup the system and i'm thinking of a world rebuild instead.
19 > > now i'd like to ask you the following questions:
20 > >
21 > > 1. what options should i use to build a whole system that is not
22 > statically
23 > > linked (all of xorg packages, a lot of other packages compile statically
24 > > linked libraries)?!
25 > > 2. is better to rebuild world and mantain the config files that i have
26 > now
27 > > or to rebuild from scratch and then reconfigure?!
28 > > 3. i'd like to use a cyphered lvm2 partition at least for /home. if i
29 > > compile the system anew in a chroot on the actual system would i be able
31 > > put /home and eventually other stuff on cyphered partitions at the moment
32 > in
33 > > which i would recopy the new system in its definite place (after the
34 > chroot
35 > > new installation would be completed i'd put them in the actual place of
36 > the
37 > > old one from a live cd via cp -a)?
38 > > 4. live packages issues: i need (for the moment) to go with libdrm,
39 > x11-drm,
40 > > mesa, mesa-glcore, dri2proto and xorg-server from git or be unable to run
41 > > compiz-fusion on my board (x200m) and from all the tests i've been doing
42 > i
43 > > cannot have this configuration to work with kde4 (i'm on svn branch). i
44 > like
45 > > kde4, even if it has some stuff that isn't as good as it was on old
46 > 3.5.x,
47 > > but my system continues to freeze when i try to run it with xorg-server
48 > from
49 > > git. has anyone been able to have xorg-server live ebuild and kde4 to
50 > work?!
51 > > i've looked in a lot of places on the web but haven't been able to find
52 > > anyone with this configuration around.
53 > > 5. it seems that synaptics and vesa xorg driver don't build on the live
54 > > version of xorg-server and i was wondering if someone, instead, has had
55 > them
56 > > working?!
57 > >
58 > > thanks a lot.
59 > >
60 > > --
61 > > dott. ing. beso
62 >
63 > Just some general thoughts off the top of my head. My AMD64 Gentoo
64 > system is the most stable of everything I run.
65 >
66 > 1) Mask >grub-0.97.r4 for now.
67 > 2) Add EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y" to make.conf
68 > 2) eix-sync
69 > 3) eselect profile to 2008.0
70 > 4) energe -ep system and look at flags.
71 > 5) emerge -e system
72 > 6) emerge -e system (yes, a second time, it's just an hour or two)
73 > 7) Unmask newest eix if necessary and then emerge eix
74 > 8) eix-sync
75 > 9) emerge -ep world and look at flags. Adjust as necessary.
76 > 10) emerge -DuN world
77 >
78 > and enjoy.
79 >
80 > At this point I'd look at eix-test-obsolete and clean things up. I'd
81 > then run emerge -p --depclean and think about what it wants to do, and
82 > probably do it because there will be things left over from before.
83 > After that emerge -DuN world to check the depclean and
84 > revdep-rebuild/eix-test-obsolete to find any last issues.
85 >
86 > If that doesn't keep ya busy I have no idea what will. ;-)
89 first of all, thanks for the reply. but i wanted to avoid this step that
90 would require quite a high work and the removal of kde-svn. i'm currently
91 using paludis as package manager and i have quite a lot of external
92 overlays. i'm counting on removing almost all of them, with the exception of
93 berkano, x11, desktop-effects and the personal overlay of diego flameeyes
94 that contains 3-4 stuff that i use. i found out paludis to be way faster
95 with my way of working (i shutdown many times since i'm around a lot with
96 the notebook that doesn't support well suspend due to radeon drivers) and
97 paludis is about 10 times faster than portage when resolving world
98 dependencies, and has a really better overlay and split configuration
99 support that portage doesn't have. it also has eix integration and syncs eix
100 at every world sync. the only thing that it doesn't is the eix removal of
101 obsoleted packages.
102 also all that steps could take quite a lot time to be in front of the
103 monitor. also i need quite a lot packages from the unstable amd64 branch and
104 i've then decided to go on with the unstable branch. for these reasons i was
105 thinking of a new rebuild because, once chose the packages to install i run
106 paludis and leave them to install (it skips the ones depending on packages
107 that fails by default) and that would require me less time to find and fix
108 problems than the eix and rebuild system and world method.
109 the most annoying problems i see are with openrc that sometimes is buggy
110 (maybe because of the parallel services start/stop). and makes me reboot the
111 system from time to time.
112
113 ps. i've never had any problems with grub, unless the fact that i'm not able
114 to rebuild it with the grubfx image (as the opensuse version).
117 dott. ing. beso