From: Jean-Marc Hengen <hengenj@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] 32bit and 64bit applications on the same system
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:52:53
1 Hi,
2
3 does anyone know, if there has been any progress, getting any package
4 manager (portage/paludis/pkgcore) to compile any applications in the
5 same root as 64bit and/or 32bit e.g. if I want my firefox as 32bit
6 application, then firefox and all it's dependencies get compiled as 32
7 bit, but the rest as 64bit. (This would naturally means, that some
8 libraries exists as 32bit and 64bit on the same system.)
9
10 I searched on the internet and the only thing I found was from paludis:
11 "A whole different configuration system, making it far easier to
12 maintain multiple systems, some in chroots, with entirely separate
13 configuration files." I could mean, that paludis could do it or in some
14 future, it could do it, but I found no details about that, so I can't
15 say, if this is, what I'm searching for.
16
17 If I was simply too dump, to find any documentation/information about
18 this topic by myself on the net, it would be kind to point me to those.
19
20 The merit of this, would be a) getting rid of the emul-packages b)
21 getting any application to work, which only is available for 32bit,
22 without needing to maintain a 32bit chroot with all it's drawback. I'm
23 especially thinking of older windows games, which run with wine and from
24 which I can't separate myself. The only problem is, that wine has itself
25 to be 32bit and all it's dependencies. (I'm aware, that wine runs with
26 the emul packages. As there exists windows for 64bit, I guess, there
27 will be also in the future a 64bit wine for 64bit windows-applications,
28 so the current situation won't be permanent.) Just one example, where
29 such a future from the package manager would be cool.
30
31 The only thing, I've know about it, was that portage dependencies
32 implementation isn't designed for such purpose and it would need major
33 changes in there, to get portage to do it. I never read something about,
34 how file collision are handled, which would be certain, if the same
35 package is installed as 32bit and 64bit (e.g. docs).
36
37 Greetings,
38 Jean-Marc
39 --