From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: openoffice-bin 2.0 version
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:55:13
sean posted <436D09CA.1000905@×××××××.net>, excerpted below,  on Sat, 05
Nov 2005 14:36:42 -0500:

> Looking in the openoffice-bin directory I see a listing for > openoffice-bin-2.0.0.ebuild and it does have the amd64 listed as a keyword. > However, whenever I do an emerge openoffice-bin the build process > installs version 1.1.5. > > I did notice that the keyword for 1.1.5 is as follows, KEYWORDS="amd64 > x86" and 2.0.0 is as KEYWORDS="~x86 ~amd64". > > If I recall the ~ means unstable/untested. Is this the reason, and is > there a work around? > > I would actually rather build 2.0 but have been unable to clear the > keyword for openoffice 2.0.0.
You already have an answer for this particular case, but nothing pointing you to information on how it actually works, so you can understand what's happening and why... All Gentoo users should read and understand the "Working with Gentoo" and "Working with Portage" portions of the Gentoo Handbook. The first part of the handbook is on installation, true, but that's not ALL there is to the handbook, and unfortunately, a lot of folks miss the parts of it that cover actually working with a live Gentoo system, including how portage works, which includes how keywords work, and the difference between ~arch (unstable) and arch (stable) keywords. Link to the Gentoo Handbook, AMD64 edition: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml Direct link to the handbook, part 2, Working with Gentoo: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2 Direct link to the handbook, part 3, Working with Portage: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=3 (While I'm at it, of help for those setting up their network config, part 4, Gentoo Network Configuration.) Read and understand the handbook, and you'll be better equipped to make the decisions necessary to properly admin your Gentoo computer, including how to deal with keywords, the question at hand. Fail to read and understand what's so readily available, and you'll continue to have to post questions with "simple" answers, and won't be able to get the most out of your Gentoo system, because you don't understand the basics of how to configure it to fit your specific needs. In that case, you might as well choose a binary distribution, not bothering with all this compiling from source and customized configuration stuff, as that's what makes Gentoo different from the others, better, for those who wish that level of control over their own system. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list