From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] New install - basic question
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:08:17
1 Am 05.02.2011 16:45, schrieb Paul Stear:
2 > Sorry original sent to the wrong list.
3 >
4 > Hi,
5 > I am currently using amd64 2 core processor but now have the chance to use
6 > an intel quad 64 processor.
7 > This might be a silly question but is it best to do a compltly new install?
8 > If so which stage do I download from the following list:-
9 >
10 > alpha: iso stages
11 > amd64: iso stages
12 > arm: stages
13 > hppa: stages
14 > ia64: iso stages
15 > ppc/ppc64: iso stages
16 > s390/s390x: stages
17 > sh: stages
18 > sparc: iso stages
19 > x86: iso stages
20 >
21 > Which chost and cflags should I use?
22 >
23 > Thanks for any help
24 > paul
25
26 It's amd64, as well. Unfortunately, depending on your CFLAGS you might
27 still have incompatible code on your current system. You can still try
28 it but you will likely encounter random process crashes because of
29 invalid opcodes.
30
31 You can avoid a complete reinstall by changing your CFLAGS to something
32 generic like '-march=i686' and remove anything else not supported by
33 both processor families.
34 Then make a `emerge --emptytree world` to recompile all packages.
35
36 Don't forget to adjust your kernel as well.
37
38 For your specific CFLAGS, look here:
39 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/Intel
40