From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:37:43
1 Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Daniel Iliev wrote:
3 >> So, both flags let gcc produce PIC for libs and programs and none of
4 >> them lets gcc produce PIC for libs only? The next flag described in the
5 >> man page is -fpie, which makes PIC for programs only. Something is wrong
6 >> and don't know how to find the right explanation.
7 >
8 > The problem is that -fPIC is a code-generating flag, i.e. it applies
9 > to the .o object files built. The compiler can't work out whether that
10 > object is used in a program or a shared library, so it can't know
11 > whether using PIC is a good idea or not.
12 >
13 Well, then I have to simplify more (because of my lack of knowledge) and
14 ask what are the pros and cons to use PIC when building a program and a
15 share library?
18 Best regards,
19 Daniel
23 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list