From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: problems emerging tclx
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:16:12
1 Michael George <george@××××××××××.com> posted
2 20061228015743.GA6475@××××××××××××.office, excerpted below, on Wed, 27
3 Dec 2006 20:57:43 -0500:
4
5 > You are right, I didn't search the gentoo bugs, but I shall in the
6 > future. I didn't know that Google wouldn't grab them...
7
8 It's not something one would expect, certainly, given that Google knows
9 how to index and can often supply from cache as HTML everything from PDF
10 to MS Word and Excel files. However, each bugzilla installation,
11 certainly the big ones used by the various distributions and all the big
12 projects, tends to be somewhat customized, so Google would need to
13 customize it's bots for each one, and apparently the individual user
14 segments interested in each one are small enough Google hasn't found it
15 worth the trouble to do and maintain.
16
17 So it's an understandable mis-assumption. Still, think about it. How
18 many bugzilla results have you ever come across in your various Linux info
19 searches? I've certainly not come across that many, if any. It's just
20 that it doesn't occur to folks, since they are used to google indexing
21 virtually /everything/ on the web. I knew I always used bugzilla for that
22 type of searches, not google, but I didn't realize why, until someone
23 happened to explain it in a post such as this one.
24
25 So anyway, now you (and possibly others on the list) know. =8^) Google's
26 good for a lot of stuff, but not for looking up bugs filed in bugzilla.
27 Neat thing about newsgroups/mailing-lists that way. You ask a question,
28 or read one someone else has asked, and often get answers to questions you
29 didn't even know you had, in the process of getting the answer to the one.
30 =8^) That's one reason I find them so much fun, as I never know what new
31 and useful thing I'm going to learn when I load up the messages. =8^)
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list