From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 12:10:12
1 On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > The quad-core, 2+ GHz CPU @ 25W power dissipation should be plenty of
4 > power, even for playing media (one review said 80% usage of all four
5 > cores for 1080p, however, which it'll handle, but realistically not 4k,
6 > when I eventually even have a display that'll do 4k), and it should de-
7 > clock and power-down for routing-only. And that dissipation, quite fans
8 > shouldn't be a big issue.
11 If you want to play HD video on an mini-ITX MB you're better off using
12 one designed for this. I have an aging NVidia ION board that plays
13 1080p without a hitch as my mythtv frontend. However, you are limited
14 to codecs that are supported by hardware decoding - I doubt I'd get
15 full HD on software decoding.
16
17 This is a router, right?
18
19 When you want a cheap tiny board that consumes 10s of watts with an
20 external power supply and doesn't need a fan, you are going to have to
21 decide in advance what your priorities are. It isn't like a $250
22 CPU+MB+RAM system with a 500W power supply that is a general purpose
23 computing device.
26 Rich