From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 20:07:26
1 Dale posted on Thu, 09 Dec 2010 10:28:39 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > One would think people would learn from KDE that stopping support for
4 > one to favor the new one makes people . . . upset. I guess some people
5 > never learn tho.
6
7 Well, the grub thing has been going on for years, from well before kde4.
8 It was just hidden better, because as I said, it's a small enough program
9 that the distributions could reasonably take up the slack.
10
11 It seems trinity is doing the same with kde3, but it took long enough to
12 pick it up that the gap was very visible to users, and it remains to be
13 seen how well they'll do. But I do wish them well, it's actually possible
14 to do with FLOSS, and if things go well, here in a few years we'll have a
15 qt (by then qt4) based "lite" desktop, with trinity or whatever they've
16 decided to call it by then, parallel on the qt side, to the gtk-based xfce
17 on the gtk side. Perhaps that's the best of both worlds, but it would
18 have been nice had that support gap never had to happen. <shrug>
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman