From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect problems
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:46:39
1 Sorry about previous send with no additions. Bad fingers this
2 afternoon I guess...
3
4 On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > "Drake Donahue" <donahue95@×××××××.net> posted
6 > 414A2586925347C7BCFA0A784EC2A8FE@iwillxp333, excerpted below, on Mon, 24
7 > Nov 2008 12:19:04 -0500:
8 >
9 >> The wisdom of making currently existing and useful packages depend on
10 >> some future incomplete package management system (so that updates become
11 >> arduous and/or impossible)?? Anyone discovered a way to cope with
12 >> 'masked by eapx '? sys-apps/portage-2.2_rc15 did not relieve a 'masked
13 >> by eap2' ....
14 >
15 > It should be 2.2_rc16, now. rc15 has a circular logic bug on unsolved
16 > dependencies.
17 >
18 <SNIP>
19 >
20 > Personally, I default to ~arch, and unmask hard-masked packages either in-
21 > tree or from various overlays from time to time as well.
22
23 Where do you do this? In /etc/make.conf? I've never run a machine like
24 that but would be interested in at least seeing how many packages this
25 machine would have to rebuild if I went there.
26
27 Also, when you say '~arch' on this list do you really mean ~amd64, or
28 is there a real ~arch that I've not learned about?
29
30 Generally I've always run stable and then never shied away from having
31 a larger set of file in my package.keywords file to get what I think I
32 want to run.
33
34 > But in general,
35 > I'm prepared for them to fail once in awhile, and to spend sometimes
36 > significant time tracing and reporting bugs, then working around them or
37 > rolling back to an earlier version without the bug, should I need the
38 > bugged functionality. But YMMV definitely applies in this area, and
39 > while I'd not be satisfied running what I'd consider long outdated
40 > versions that may be the latest stable in many cases, other people may
41 > prefer that stability even if it does mean being maybe a year behind at
42 > times, possibly even more in some cases.
43 >
44 > --
45 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
46
47 I don't think that running 'stable' anymore really means stable.
48 package management has (IMO, really) gotten rather arbitrary over the
49 last 2 years to the extent that I know of multiple people who have
50 left the distro because stable packages are really broken. It's hard
51 on some people with certain workload models (say a professional
52 recording studio) to run stable, do updates, find new software is
53 broken, and then have to downgrade. Lost time is lost money. I know of
54 at least 4 that have moved onto other prepacked distros in the last
55 year. Disappointing.
56
57 Anyway, back on topic. I managed to build portage-2.2_rc16 today and
58 now have the option of building ardour-2.7. Not sure I'm gonna do it
59 though as I then have 2 files blocking, one having to do with Gnome
60 itself and I had to unmask a whole boatload of packages to get to the
61 point that I found that:
62
63 media-sound/ardour ~amd64
64 media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit ~amd64
65 media-libs/aubio ~amd64
66 dev-cpp/gtkmm ~amd64
67 dev-cpp/glibmm ~amd64
68 dev-libs/glib ~amd64
69 dev-cpp/pangomm ~amd64
70 x11-libs/gtk+ ~amd64
71 x11-libs/pango ~amd64
72 x11-libs/cairo ~amd64
73 x11-libs/pixman ~amd64
76 lightning ~ # emerge -pvDuN world
77
78 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
79
80 Calculating dependencies... done!
81
82 <SNIP>
83
84 [blocks b ] <dev-cpp/gtkmm-2.13:2.4 ("<dev-cpp/gtkmm-2.13:2.4" is
85 blocking dev-cpp/pangomm-2.14.1)
86 [blocks B ] <gnome-base/gail-1000 ("<gnome-base/gail-1000" is
87 blocking x11-libs/gtk+-2.14.4)
88
89 Total: 10 packages (9 upgrades, 1 new), Size of downloads: 46,253 kB
90 Conflict: 2 blocks (1 unsatisfied)
91 lightning ~ #
92
93 Not sure this is worth the effort, at least until the weekend maybe.
94
95 Thanks for your help. At least I got past the issue with portage.
96
97 Cheers,
98 Mark