From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Possible Math Problem - Request For Verification
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:57:03
Am Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:41:11 -0400
schrieb Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>:

> Hello, >
[background information] Huh, I was unaware that GNU (since they're the authors of GCC/GLIBC) ever had problems in this area. Since I use my machine for numerical tasks, too, I was interested in seeing whether I would see the same problem.
> The code will take several minutes to compile, execute, and complete. While > the test is running it will spit out its progress to stdout. Upon completion > a brief summary is given: > > UCBFAIL indicates problems! > /tmp/fp-test-results/ccos_DP.output: ucbtest UCBFAIL in COS(X) at line 444 for generic > /tmp/fp-test-results/clib_DP.output: ucbtest UCBFAIL in cabsd at line 701 for double > /tmp/fp-test-results/clib_DP.output: ucbtest UCBFAIL in powd at line 701 for double > /tmp/fp-test-results/clib_DP.output:UCBFAIL clib_DP.output , 25 out of 25 tests completed > /tmp/fp-test-results/csin_DP.output: ucbtest UCBFAIL in SIN(X) at line 444 for generic > > only 11 out of 14 show UCBPASS!
I ran the tests without any modifications to ucbREADME/linux.sh and don't get the cabsd failure: UCBFAIL indicates problems! /tmp/fp-test-results/ccos_DP.output: ucbtest UCBFAIL in COS(X) at line 444 for generic /tmp/fp-test-results/clib_DP.output: ucbtest UCBFAIL in powd at line 701 for double /tmp/fp-test-results/clib_DP.output:UCBFAIL clib_DP.output , 25 out of 25 tests completed /tmp/fp-test-results/csin_DP.output: ucbtest UCBFAIL in SIN(X) at line 444 for generic only 11 out of 14 show UCBPASS! Out of curiosity, I ran the test two more times and got the same results. This machine runs on stable, with a slightly older Athlon64 X2.
> There are expected failures in the trigonometric tests since trigonometric > performance is not specified in IEEE754/854. The failure in powd (double power > function) is also expected. But everything else should have passed.
Then according to the results above my machine is apparently OK. (I guess I really should finally read about IEEE floating point more thoroughly, I've been planning to do that for a while now.) [...]
> Frank Peters
HTH -- Marc Joliet -- "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup