From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64]emerge make my comp slow :(
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 23:41:54
1 On 8/6/06, jai kumar <jaikumar1004_in@××××××××.in> wrote:
2 > I compiled my kernel again with the correct sata drivers (libata, sata_via)
3 > as module. well i guess it "dma" thing again. does sata drives not support
4 > dma or what is wrong ??
5
6 They support DMA just fine....
7
8 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9 > flukebox@flukebox ~ $ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda (my whole hardisk)
10 > /dev/sda:
11 > Timing cached reads: 2592 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1295.31 MB/sec
12 > Timing buffered disk reads: 170 MB in 3.01 seconds = 56.41 MB/sec
13
14 ...and you are getting DMA transfers. Without DMA the buffered disk
15 read speed would be more like 3-4 MB/sec.
16
17 This is not the problem.
18
19 BTW, the reason hdparm doesn't show a dma mode, and the reason that
20 most of the other hdparm options don't work with your drive, is
21 because hdparm is meant to deal with IDE/PATA disk drives, not SATA.
22 There really is no additional configuration that you need to do for
23 SATA performance.
24
25 AFAICT, you still haven't told us how much RAM you have, or posted
26 your emerge --info.
27
28 -Richard
29 --