From: Kyle Lutze <kyle@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] alsa mixer question
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 02:46:00
1 Dmitri Pogosyan wrote:
2 > As people said your choices are
3 >
4 > 1) Use sound card with hardware mixing
5 > 2) Run sound mixing daemon like esound or arts
6 > 3) Set up dmix in alsa. I also heard that alsa 1.10 is supposed to
7 > come with replacement for dmix ?
8 >
9 > 3) is preferable to 2), especially arts seems having a lot of bad rap.
10 >
11 > I have recompiled everything without arts (I don't have gnome or esound
12 > installed) and set up dmix devices. Works fine.
13 >
14 > I don't know much about 'jack'
17 jack is the jack audio connection kit. It is mostly used by audio
18 professionals or people that have m-audio audio cards. It is probably
19 unwanted for this situation as most programs don't support it, and it's
20
21 Jack is the jack audio connection kit. It is mostly used by audio
22 professionals or people that have m-audio audio cards. It is probably
23 too powerful for your type of setup, so don't worry about. It's very
24 powerful for what it does, and with that a bit complicated to setup,
25 especially to get non-jack programs working with it.
26
27 Kyle
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list