From: Nick Currier <docfreezzzz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: libungif and giflib conflict.
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:09:08
1 Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. Will try ~amd64 for mplayer.
2
3 NIck Currier
4
5 On 11/1/05, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 >
7 > Brian Litzinger posted <20051101060037.GA30285@localhost>, excerpted
8 > below, on Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:00:37 -0800:
9 >
10 > >> Nick Currier <docfreezzzz@×××××.com> writes:
11 > >> > I have to run libungif as all my media is built around mplayer and it
12 > >> > simply won't run on the giflib libraries.
13 > >
14 > > On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 11:52:03PM -0600,
15 > Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
16 > > wrote:
17 > >> My mplayer is linked with giflib and AFAIK it works as it should. I
18 > >> suspect you need to run revdep-rebuild. Otherwise I would try
19 > installing
20 > >> libungif in /usr/local, the old-fashioned way, and put an entry in
21 > >> package.provided or something like that.
22 > >
23 > > I had cross dependecies between mplayer and another app.
24 > >
25 > > One required giflib the other libungif.
26 > >
27 > > After getting tired of emerging back and forth I did
28 > >
29 > > (unmerged the other lib)
30 > >
31 > > emerge giflib
32 > > cd /usr/lib
33 > > ln -s libgif.so.4.1.3 libungif.so.4
34 >
35 > That works, but it's an unneeded hack.
36 >
37 > Here's the history behind libgif/libungif. Unisys apparently had a patent
38 > on the compression method normally used in gif. They let gif format
39 > graphics become rather a standard, and then started demanding royalties
40 > for the compression patent. Of course, royalties aren't something very
41 > compatible with open source, so that didn't work too well.
42 >
43 > There were two responses among both the open source community and the web
44 > community (which used both gif and jpeg). One was to develop an
45 > uncompromised standard, the PING graphic standard, and switch to using it
46 > on most web pages and the like. (This was complicated by the fact that
47 > MSIE didn't properly support PING for a long time.)
48 >
49 > The other, as we have here, was to work with a library that used the same
50 > standard but without the compression. Apparently, it was possible to read
51 > compressed gifs without violating the patent, but it wasn't possible to
52 > create or do graphics work in the format, at least not and compress it.
53 > Thus, libungif was born, using the workaround to decompress gifs, but when
54 > used to work with gifs, it would store them uncompressed.
55 >
56 > The patents apparently expired between 2001 and late 2003, depending on
57 > the location, so gifs can now use the normal compression without issue,
58 > and there's little use for libungif any longer.
59 >
60 > According to a discussion some weeks/months ago on gentoo-dev, Gentoo is
61 > deprecating libungif, and will eventually remove it from the tree.
62 > Apparently, new versions of everything that could depend on either is now
63 > set to depend on libgif only. After a suitable length of time, or when
64 > it becomes difficult to support libungif any longer (I don't believe
65 > there's anything being done with it upstream any longer), it will be
66 > removed from the tree.
67 >
68 > So... no new ebuilds should depend on libungif. If they do, it's a bug
69 > and probably should be filed as such.
70 >
71 > Meanwhile, existing ebuilds, particularly as currently merged, may still
72 > depend on libungif. However, most of them should work just fine if
73 > rebuilt against libgif. Unmerge libungif (and remove that symlink you
74 > created) so there's no libungif on the system. Then ensure you have a
75 > current libgif merged and do a revdep-rebuild -p to see what is detected
76 > as needing remerged. Then go ahead and do the remerge of those packages,
77 > either by running the command without the -p, or by emerging the
78 > individual packages by name.
79 >
80 > Nothing should need to pull in libungif. It's still possible that some
81 > old stable packages might want it. However, sticking those in
82 > package.keyword with ~amd64 should result in a newer package that merges
83 > fine without libungif. If it's still required, then it's time to file a
84 > bug (check first, of course, to see if there's already been one filed on
85 > it).
86 >
87 > --
88 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
89 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
90 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
91 > http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
94 > --
95 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list