From: Kyle Liddell <kyle@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Incipient hardware failure?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 04:32:41
1 Here's just an idea: You took out half your RAM, and then more recently
2 you tested the other half of the RAM that you left in the computer? How
3 about you swap the RAM around and run memtest86+ or some such. Perhaps
4 some of the RAM you took out of your system is bad, and you've got a
5 corrupted file or something lying around? I had this happen on my old
6 server...had very occasional weird errors, but worked enough to compile
7 a stage1 install, then when the RAM completely died and things went nuts
8 I checked it with memtest86 and found that a stick was bad, dumped it,
9 but still had strange crashes every once in a while. Completely
10 reinstalling (switching to debian actually) stopped the problems.
11