From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Update config files
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 23:50:18
1 On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 04:14:03PM -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
2 > What's the best way to update config files? I am a big fan of RH's
3 > method of dealing with them, and can't stand the way Debian does it, so
4 > how do the majority of Gentoo users manage their config files?
5
6 Don't know how RedHat or Debian do it, don't know how the majority of
7 gentoo users do it. What I do is use RCS on any config file I modify,
8 or if I look at it and would have modified it except it happens, by
9 chance, to include the parameters I want. Most config files are so
10 general purpose that I don't care, such as /etc/init.d/*. When I
11 started, I was not aware of the gentoo update programs, so I use my
12 own little script, which searches for ._cfg files which correspond to
13 RCS controlled files, and use diff or emacs emerge-* facilities to
14 compare and update. The whole process takes maybe 5 minutes in a
15 heavy week. Once in a while, some package will have a major re-org
16 and it takes longer to copy changes, but it is not difficult, and
17 these major changes would take longer under any system.
18
19 My major inherent assumption is that if I haven't put a file under RCS
20 control, I don't care what changes an update makes.
24 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
25 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
26 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
27 --
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list