From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] initrd
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:41:36
Grub really does work. The problem you are having is that grub can't
find your kernel.

   May I suggest:

    Boot the gentoo install cd:

    At the prompt  -  livecd gentoo #  -  execute the following commands:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
cd /mnt/gentoo/boot
ls -l
ls kernel* initramfs*

    The output of  "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo" will tell you about the
filesystem on the boot partition and should contain no surprises.
    The output of  "ls -l" is the boot file and directory structure that
grub will
see if  "root (hd0,0)" is in grub.conf.
    The output of  "ls kernel* initramfs*" is the kernel name and the
initramfs
name that need to appear in grub.conf.
    If a 'No such file or directory' error appears, the kernel and/or the
initramfs
is not located in /mnt/gentoo/boot and thus is not in (hd0,0)/ as far as
grub is
concerned. In this case look for a boot -->'something' symbolic link that
points
 to 'something' as the kernel location. Most likely a boot directory will
appear
in the "ls -l" output and you should look there for kernel and initramfs. If
mislocated, I think you should move them to /mnt/gentoo/boot and rerun
" ls kernel* initramfs* ".

    I believe that the " ls kernel* initramfs* " output you see will be
"kernel-2.6.13-gentoo-r3   initramfs-genkernel-amd64-2.6.13-gentoo-r3".

    In that case, I believe grub.conf should read:

default 0
timeout 5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.13
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.13-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192
real_root=/dev/hda3 udev
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-amd64-2.6.13-gentoo-r3

    If  " ls kernel* initramfs* " produced other results, then "the other
kernel name" must be
substituted exactly for 'kernel-2.6.13-gentoo-r3' above and "the other
initramfs name" for
'initramfs-genkernel-amd64-2.6.13-gentoo-r3' above respectively. Don't lose
the initial
slashes in the process.

    If you try this and it does not help, posting the results of the
commands and the grub.conf
may get more help from the smarter than I multitude.