From: thegeezer@×××××××××.net
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Soliciting new RAID ideas
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 23:38:08
1 On 2014-05-27 23:58, Harry Holt wrote:
2 > On May 27, 2014 6:39 PM, "Bob Sanders" <rsanders@×××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
5 > > > Hi all,
6 > > >    The list is quiet. Please excuse me waking it up. (Or trying
7 > to...) ;-)
8 > > >
9 > > >    I'm at the point where I'm a few months from running out of
10 > disk
11 > > > space on my RAID6 so I'm considering how to move forward. I
12 > thought
13 > > > I'd check in here and get any ideas folks have. Thanks in
14 > advance.
15 > > >
16 > >
17 > > Beware - if Adobe acroread is used, and you opt for a 3TB home
18 > > directory, there is a chance it will not work.  Or more
19 > specifically,
20 > > acroread is still 32-bit.  It's only something I've seen with the
21 > xfs
22 > > filesystem.  And Adobe has ignored it for approx. 3yrs now.
23 > >
24 > > >    The system is a Gentoo 64-bit, mostly stable, using a
25 > i7-980x
26 > > > Extreme Edition processor with 24GB DRAM. Large chassis, 6
27 > removable
28 > > > HD bays, room for 6 other drives, a large power supply.
29 > > >
30 > > >    The disk subsystem is a 1.4TB RAID6 built from five SATA2
31 > 500GB WD
32 > > > RAID-Edition 3 drives. The RAID has not had a single glitch in
33 > the 4+
34 > > > years I've used this machine.
35 > > >
36 > > >    Generally there are 4 classes of data on the RAID:
37 > > >
38 > > > 1) Gentoo (obviously), configs backed up every weekend. I plan to
39 > > > rebuild from scratch using existing configs if there's a failure.
40 > > > Being down for a couple of days is not an issue.
41 > > > 2) VMs - about 300GB. Loaded every morning, stopped & saved every
42 > > > night, backed up every weekend.
43 > > > 3) Financial data - lots of it - stocks, futures, options, etc.
44 > > > Performance requirements are pretty low. Backed up every weekend.
45 > > > 4) Video files - backed up to a different location than items
46 > 1/2/3
47 > > > whenever there are changes
48 > > >
49 > > >    After eclean-dist/eclean-pkg I'm down to about 80GB free and
50 > this
51 > > > will fill up in 3-6 months so it's time to make some changes.
52 > > >
53 > > >    My thoughts:
54 > > >
55 > > > 1) Buy three (or even just two) 5400 RPM 3TB WD Red drives and go
56 > with
57 > > > RAID1. This would use the internal SATA2 ports so it wouldn't be
58 > the
59 > > > highest performance but likely a lot better than my SATA2 RAID6.
60 > > >
61 > > > 2) Buy two 7200 RPM 3TB WD Red drives and an LSI logic hardware
62 > RAID
63 > > > controller. This would be SATA3 so probably way more performance
64 > than
65 > > > I have now. MUCH more expensive though.
66 > > >
67 > >
68 > > RAID 1 is fine, RAID 10 is better, but comsumes 4 drives and SATA
69 > ports.
70 > >
71 > > > 3) #1 + an SSD. I have an unused 120GB SSD so I could get
72 > another,
73 > > > make a 2-disk RAID1, put Gentoo on that and everything else on
74 > the
75 > > > newer 3TB drives. More complex, probably lower reliability and
76 > I'm not
77 > > > sure I gain much.
78 > > >
79 > > >    Beyond this I need to talk file system types. I'm fat dumb
80 > and
81 > > > happy with Ext4 and don't really relish dealing with new stuff
82 > but
83 > > > now's the time to at least look.
84 > > >
85 > >
86 > > If you change, do not use ZFS and possibly BTRFS if the system does
87 > not
88 > > have ECC DRAM.  A single, unnoticed, ECC error can corrupt the
89 > data pool
90 > > and be written to the file system, which effectively renders it
91 > corrupt
92 > > without a way to recover.
93 > >
94 > > FWIW - a Synology DS414slim can hold 4 x 1TB WD Red NAS 2.5" drives
95 > and
96 > > provide a boot of nfs or iSCSI to your VMs.  The downside is the
97 > NAS box
98 > > and drives would go for a bit north of $636.  The upside is all
99 > your
100 > > movies and VM files could move off your workstation and the
101 > workstation
102 > > would still host the VMs via a mount of the NAS box.
103 >
104 > +1 for the Synology NAS boxes, those things are awesome, fast,
105 > reliable, upgradable (if you buy a larger one), and the best value
106 > available for iSCSI attached VMs.
107
108 while i agree on the +1 for iscsi storage, there are a few drawbacks.
109 yes the modularity is awesome primarily -- super simple to spin up
110 backup system and "move" data with a simple connection command.
111 also a top tip would be to have teh "data" part of the vm as an iscsi
112 connection too, so you can easily detach/reattach to another vm.
113
114 however, depending on the vm's you have you will probably start needing
115 to use more than one gigabit connection to max out speeds: 1gigabit
116 ethernet is not the same as 6gigabit sata3, and spinning rust is not the
117 same as ssd.
118
119 looking to the spec of the existing workstation, i'd be tempted to stay
120 with mdadm rather than a hardware raid card (which is probably running
121 embedded anyway) though with that i7 you have disabled turboboost right?
122
123 what would be an interesting comparison is pci-express speed vs
124 motherboard sata - cpu bridge speed, obviously spinning disks will not
125 max 6gbit, and the motherboard may not give you 6x 6gbit real
126 throughput, whereas dedicated hardware raid _might_ do if it had
127 intelligent caching.
128
129 other fun to look at would be lvm cos i personally think it's awesome.
130 for an example the first half of spinning disks is substantially faster
131 than the second half due to the tracks on the outer part, so i split
132 each disk into three partitions fast,med,slow and add to lvm volume
133 group, you can then group the fasts into a raid, medium into a raid and
134 slows into a raid too; mdadm allows similar configs with partitions.
135
136 ZFS for me lost it's lustre when minimum requirement was 1GB RAM per
137 terabyte...i may have my gigabytes and gigabits mixed up on this one
138 happy for someone to correct me. BTRFS looks very very interesting to
139 me, though still not played with it but mostly for checksums, the rest i
140 can do with lvm.
141
142 you might also like to consider fun with deduplication, by have a raid
143 base, with lvm on top with block level dedupe ala lessfs, then lvm
144 inside the deduped-lvm (yeah i know i'm sick, but the doctor tells me
145 the layers of abstraction eventually combine happily :) but i'm not sure
146 you'll get much benefit from virtualmachines and movies being deduped.
147
148 if you add an ssd into the mix you can also look at devicemapper caches
149 such as bcache and dm-cache, or even just moving the journal of your
150 ext4 partition there instead.
151
152 crucially you need to think about what your issues you _need_ to solve
153 and those that you would like to solve. space is obviously one issue,
154 and performance is not really an issue for you. depending on your budget
155 a pair of large sata drives + mdadm will be ideal, if you had lvm
156 already you could simply 'move' then 'enlarge' your existing stuff (tm)
157 : i'd like to know how btrfs would do the same for anyone who can let me
158 know.
159 you have raid6 because you probably know that raid5 is just waiting for
160 trouble, so i'd probably start looking at btrfs for your finanical data
161 to be checksummed. also consider ECC memory if your motherboard
162 supports it, never mind the hosing of filesystems, if you are running
163 vm's you do _not_ want memory making them behave oddly or worse, and if
164 you have lots of active financial data (bloomberg + analytics) you run
165 the risk of the butterfly effect making odd results.