From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Unexpected side effect of GCC 4
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:14:42
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200611050845.42865.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sun, 05 Nov
3 2006 08:45:42 +0000:
4
5 > Now that I've finally managed to build a full system using GCC 4.1.1 on the
6 > workstation, I find its rsync traffic has leapt to full speed with no
7 > collisions to speak of. I'm not complaining, mind, but this is a puzzle. As
8 > far as I know I haven't changed anything else - certainly the firewall box
9 > has been running continuously throughout.
10 >
11 > The speeds I mention are as shown by gkrellm (a very useful utility). The
12 > network drivers are a module on the workstation (tg3) and built-in on the
13 > firewall (8139too). The CFLAGS are "-O2 -march=k8 -pipe" on the firewall
14 > and the set offered by Duncan recently on the workstation.
15
16 What about linux-headers and glibc? The new glibc (2.5) has had some very
17 strange interactions here. See the earlier thread where I mentioned
18 dropping back to 2.4 for awhile. I'll very readily admit whatever is
19 going on is /way/ beyond my comprehension, but 2.5 does something with
20 memory transfers that 2.4 apparently never did, and there's something on
21 my system that simply doesn't fully like it. xmms (right before the mask,
22 but I removed it rather than worry about it since I knew it was being
23 masked anyway), kaffeine, and amarok, all three, aren't fully stable,
24 while kmplayer seems perfectly fine. xmms was using a different library
25 set, but kaffeine, amarok, and kmplayer are using xinelib. kmplayer
26 hasn't yet been rebuild and with it the only one remaining stable, I don't
27 want to mess with it, but I've tried rebuilding all sorts of other stuff
28 for the others, xinelib, qt, kdelibs, glibc, even gcc (to rebuild
29 libstdc++), most with several sets of cflags including plain old
30 -march=amd64 -pipe -O2, with nothing getting the unstable things stable or
31 upsetting the stability of kmplayer. The /only/ thing that seems to get
32 the others stable again is reverting to glibc 2.4. If kmplayer using the
33 same xinelib was also unstable, I could understand it. If xmms using a
34 different decoder and /not/ using qt and kdelibs was stable, I could
35 understand that. However, the particular mix and match that I have simply
36 doesn't make a lot of sense, and the only common thing to the set is that
37 reverting to glibc-2.4 magically stabilizes everything once again, even
38 tho in theory that's a VERY bad thing to do (and requires a bit of fancy
39 footwork to get portage to do at all). Yet others report no problems at
40 all with the same programs and glibc 2.5. Maybe it's a CFLAGS (or
41 CXXFLAGS) thing, but if it is, I've certainly not hit the elusive
42 dependency that's causing the issue. glibc itself filters nearly all
43 cflags but -march, -pipe, and -O2, and anyway, I tried rebuilding it with
44 /just/ those CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS specified, and it didn't change anything.
45
46 One of these days I'll do a full emerge --emptytree, and see if that fixes
47 it, but meanwhile, there's a mystery that doesn't seem to match up with
48 anything expect for glibc 2.5, only others report no problems with the
49 exact same apps, so the mystery remains! I don't like such untraceable
50 mysteries in my computer system! Quite apart from any instabilities or
51 other issues they might trigger, I'm used to being able to ultimately
52 being able to point at something or some combination of somethings and say
53 definitively, "that is/was the problem." It bothers me when I cannot do
54 so, and all is not right in my world until I /can/ do so (again, quite
55 apart from actually fixing the issue, just being able to point to it).
56
57 Anyway, if you are running glibc 2.5 on any of the machines, how does
58 the sudden return to full speed rsyncing match up with the machines with
59 2.5, if at all. What about the machine with my CFLAGS? If they are
60 related in any way, "enquiring minds want to know!" =8^) If your mystery
61 is glibc 2.5 related as well, well then, I'll not feel so strange as at
62 least there'll be two folks with a similar glibc 2.5 related mystery,
63 which makes it less of one already! =8^)
64
65 Of course, if you still have glibc 2.4 on everything, this won't help at
66 all, but at least it'll be one thing both you and I can scratch off as
67 relating to both of us.
72 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
75 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list