From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 22:03:04
Hi,

First post here.  I'm usually on gentoo user.  I'm in the process of
building a new system which will be 64 bit.  I am looking for advice.  I
would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't
expect and some things that are different from x86.  I was looking at
something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp.  I didn't know
about that until I ran up on it.  I learned something by pure dumb luck.

I'm a long time Gentoo user.  Installed it at the early stages of 1.4.
I also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup.  The processor is
a AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz.  It will start out with one 4Gb stick of
ram.  I plan to expand that later.

What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
obvious for someone new to 64 bit?

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)