From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 22:03:04
1 Hi,
2
3 First post here. I'm usually on gentoo user. I'm in the process of
4 building a new system which will be 64 bit. I am looking for advice. I
5 would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't
6 expect and some things that are different from x86. I was looking at
7 something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp. I didn't know
8 about that until I ran up on it. I learned something by pure dumb luck.
9
10 I'm a long time Gentoo user. Installed it at the early stages of 1.4.
11 I also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup. The processor is
12 a AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz. It will start out with one 4Gb stick of
13 ram. I plan to expand that later.
14
15 What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
16 obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
17
18 Thanks.
19