From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: x86_64 optimization patches for glibc.
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:25:55
1 Brian Hall posted <20050731085600.65fc8657.brihall@××××××.net>, excerpted
2 below, on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:56:00 -0600:
3
4 > Perhaps a USE flag could be created to enable the glibc patches, then a
5 > emerge --newuse could recompile glibc and the problem apps (or
6 > everything); maybe a mini-howto document would also be helpful.
7 >
8 > I would certainly like an easy way to enable any "free" performance
9 > boost I can get!
10
11 Something like USE=dangerous-amd64-hack? <g>
12
13 (Seriously, there at least used to be a local use flag
14 USE=frickin-big-security-hole, or some such, on some app I can't remember
15 at the moment. Turns out a teacher was using that app in his class as a
16 an example or something, so the dev left the ability to create it there,
17 but with a USE flag nobody in their right mind would normally enable. I
18 wish I could remember what it was, but grepping use.local.desc for
19 anything that might be related doesn't seem to bring it up. Perhaps the
20 app, or anyway the USE flag, has now been removed from portage?)
21
22 The use.local.desc description could point to the bug, which is IIRC what
23 the one above did, for those wanting more information about just why such
24 a USE flag exists, and just why someone might be persuaded to enable it.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
30 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list