From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] locales questions
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 20:24:29
1 On Tuesday 05 December 2006 21:08, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi. I'm sure you're frustrated with me. Sorry. I really am reading
3 > these docs but there seem to be things I'm not quite understanding or
4 > things missing from the docs. Probably it's just me. Sorry.
5
6 Don't worry about it.. ;P
7
8 [SNIP]
9 > lightning etc # locale -a
10 > locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
11 > locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
12 > locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
13
14 I believe those errors means your LANG setting is wrong.
15
16 > C
17 > POSIX
18 > en_US
19 > en_US.utf8
20
21 It should be one of those 4 settings. And you don't want C or POSIX so either
22 LANG="en_US" or LANG="en_US.utf8". If you choose the latter you want to read
23 the UTF-8 guide [1]... The former should be ok though.
24
25 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
28 Bo Andresen