From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Multilib or not?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:57:18
1 Tonko Mulder <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
2 1227375494.15158.1.camel@Gaius, excerpted below, on Sat, 22 Nov 2008
3 18:38:09 +0100:
4
5 >> use one randr setting pannel. the krandr for kde does this and i'm sure
6 >> there's a randr control panel also for gnome.
7 >>
8 > Yes there is, grandr but I tried that and it didn't work that well. I
9 > could try it some in the future, but atm I use xrandr but maybe I need
10 > to check on the man-page in order to get it working.
11
12 FWIW, I tried the kde3 krandr-tray applet and it appears to be outdated,
13 only handling randr-1.0 commands. I suppose kde4 has an updated version
14 with the 1.1 and 1.2 commands. I do have kde4 merged now, but it's still
15 broken in enough ways I don't use it for everyday yet.
16
17 Meanwhile, I'm using dual 1920x1200 LCD panels in stacked config using
18 the xf86-video-ati radeon driver and its randr support. This is with
19 xorg-server-1.5.2 and xf86-video-ati-6.9.0, still running a Radeon 92xx
20 series card. When I upgraded from the older xf86-video-ati merged
21 framebuffer support to the newer version with randr support instead, I
22 did have to spend some time learning the new setup and changing my
23 xorg.conf file, but after I did so, I get both panels running at native
24 resolution, in my preferred stacked configuration, no problem.
25
26 That takes care of full/native resolution, but there are still issues
27 with lower resolutions. Back with merged framebuffer, I could use the
28 alt-ctrl-numplus/numminus sequences to switch between configured
29 resolutions. That no longer works, and as I said, krandr-tray (at least
30 the kde3 version) doesn't work right either, with multiple displays at
31 least.
32
33 So I scripted up a solution using xrandr, put the entries in my kmenu,
34 and can use them to switch resolutions. But there's still a problem.
35 The origin coordinates portion appears to be broken, so when I downgrade
36 resolution, the viewport is always the upper left portion of the full
37 size version. There's no mouse panning with randr yet (that's supposed
38 to be added for xorg-server 1.5.3 or possibly later if what I read is
39 correct), and with origin coordinates broken at least on the radeon
40 driver on my hardware, upper left (still stacked at least, but still just
41 upper left) is all I get, and that's not very practical.
42
43 So I've been working around it using font size change when necessary for
44 text, and image magnification for images. That has worked for most
45 things, and fortunately, the one other thing I used non-standard
46 resolutions for, an old DOS based game I still play in DOSBOX (Master of
47 Orion, original edition, the only non-freedomware I still run, yes, that
48 does make its programmers my master), works just fine if I set the upper
49 panel for full resolution and the lower one for 640x480, using kwin to
50 force the dosbox window to exactly the right coordinates to put its
51 display all the way to the left just under the upper panel, so the lower
52 panel's 640x480 viewport just happens to be the exact same coordinates as
53 the dosbox window. =:^)
54
55 The point being that yes, dual-panel works with the freedomware xf86 ati/
56 radeon driver, at least for my hardware, once it's configured to do so.
57 However, there are some limitations.
58
59 We should probably start a new thread on that if people want to discuss
60 the config and how I got it to work.
65 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman