From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: mythtv 0.19 start/stop audio & video
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 11:36:10
Hamish posted <200604062234.11991.hamish@××××××××××××××.com>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:34:11 +0100:

> Anyone out there understand why this happens? I think it started > immediately after I upgraded X last friday from 6.8.2 to 7.0. However > mplayer, xine etc all still work fine. Including on myth recordings so it > looks like some sort of interraction between myth & X, except that the > logs would tend to indicate it's audio based... Ho hum...
I know little about MythTV, but how long ago was your last revdep-rebuild? If you've not run it in awhile, chances are you upgraded something, maybe X, maybe something else, to a binary incompatible version, without rebuilding everything that depended on it. Normally, that means something breaks, but in this case, it may simply mean MythTV is falling back to a very slow unaccelerated compatibility mode. Note that if you've not run revdep-rebuild in some time, it's likely you'll have a whole list of stuff that needs rebuilt, and doing so will take awhile. It uses the same -p for pretend that emerge does, so use -p the first time. It'll do its thing scanning all your binaries and libraries to figure out what needs rebuilt, which takes awhile, then spit out a list. If you like the list, run it again without the -p and let it get to work (it won't have to recalculate everything, as it will still have the work files around from the first run). Or, you can emerge --oneshot each package on the list, manually. That's what I usually do. If you don't have the revdep-rebuild command, it's part of gentoolkit, which also contains a bunch of other very useful tools. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list