From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Orphaned files: /usr/sbin/rdev, vidmode, etc, what package?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 07:34:21
I'm finally getting around to some stale binaries cleanup, after a disk
problem this summer had me back on an old /usr, with incorrect portage
data.  I was able to emerge almost everything to current using
--emptytree, and from binpkg, as I've been running FEATURES=buildpkg for
some time (and what I didn't have a binpkg for were small packages,
luckily), but that left some stale files around.

I've just spent several hours running a "for $file in *; do equery b
$file; done" in one konsole tab, while running an mc in another console
tab to delete stuff that didn't show up as belonging to anything.

So around comes /usr/sbin, and I find rdev and the symlinks pointing to it
aren't listed as belonging to anything.  I don't want to get rid of them
as they occasionally come in handy, particularly for checking a setting
in the existing kernel (new ones are easy enough to build if I want to
change it, but for a quick look, rdev and friends are nice), but I don't
know what Gentoo package they belong to.

A google-linux says on most distributions, they are (or were, the info
could be dated) part of util-linux.  However, double-checking here, they
aren't part of the current util-linux package (2.12r-r1) I have merged.
What package now contains them (emerge -p rdev says no such package,
esearch doesn't return anything either, even with -S), or is it a bug in
the ebuild or on my system that failed to get them?

...  I still have the manpages for them, too, just not a package I can
(re)merge to hook the files back up with the portage database.

... Or is rdev no longer supposed to be usable with kernel 2.6 and it has
been removed?  If so, that's a shame!  ...

--